- The Construction Estimator will report to Robert McMillan, President, for review of estimates, bids, and future sales.
- The goal is to provide the company with a backlog of jobs and to provide the company with accurate information that will help in operations and strategic planning for future jobs.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Review plans and specifications to determine initial budget and detailed estimates of remodeling, home addition and new home projects based on design concepts, scope of work, contractor bids, specifications, architectural drawings, allowances, and selections.
- Conduct project site inspections with the design team to record existing conditions and forecast production needs for the estimate.
- Understand and interpret schematics and drawings.
- Obtain, review, and analyze subcontractor and vendor quotes for best value.
- Assemble subcontractor/vendor bid solicitation packages and follow up with subcontractor during the bid process.
- Maintain subcontractor/vendor relations in each trade.
- Obtain clarification on designs, plans and specifications from designers, architects, and engineers when necessary.
- Provide value engineering assessment, research, and recommend options for alternative design solutions including initial cost, schedule implications and constructability issues.
- Assist in pricing out change orders.
- Participate in various project meetings, as required.
- Maintain and update the estimating database.
The Estimator performs a variety of support tasks in the sales department including:
- Search out and acquire high valued construction projects.
- Take leads as they come in and qualify clients/customers.
- Visit sites to gather essential information to bid jobs.
- Review documents or consult with subcontractors, designers, suppliers to collect all necessary data
- Analyze data and produce forecasts for each job and the company backlog.
- Prepare detailed reports (Job Jackets) with detailed scopes for submission to production.
- Select advantageous deals by evaluating offers and quotes.
- Negotiate contracts with external vendors to reach profitable agreements.
- Foster relationships with key vendors, subcontractors, architects, designers, and previous clients.
The Estimator is accountable for completing the above tasks and activities to the following measurements of success and standards of quality and performance:
- Produce all assigned deliverables and reports accurately, completely and in alignment with client design and budget intent to meet the assigned design project timelines.
- Proactively search out answers and information that is needed to move the cost estimate forward.
- Come prepared for to all meetings with team, clients, vendors, and subcontractors and accurately document and report the results of these meetings.
- Timely, accurate, and professional communication with team members, clients, vendors, and subcontractors.
- Maintain a professional appearance and always follow the company dress code while in the office, at client sites, and while representing R&R Build and Design.
- While representing R&R Build and Design, act in accordance with company values in all decisions, interactions with clients, vendors, partners, staff, and the public.
- Education level:
Associates or bachelor’s degree.
- Requires 5 or more years’ experience.
- Specific Skills & Personal Characteristics:
- Proven experience as construction Salesman and Estimator.
- Basic understanding of accounting and project management concepts.
- Comfortable with numbers and technology.
- Develop a comfortable knowledge of software like Excel and Buildertrend.
- Great attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and negotiation abilities.
- Well-organized and reliable.
- BSc/BA in construction science or relevant field.
- Certified Professional Estimator (CPE) or other qualification will be a plus.
**R&R Build and Design is an equal opportunity employer